Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Olympic Jesus is Pleased...

...OR The Story of My Own Olympic Event

Preface: I love Jesus and I believe he has a fantastic sense of humor. I also grew up with a deep appreciation of Captain D's. I promise these are completely related.

One of the most spectacular cases of good timing occurred this past Friday. Let me set the scene: It's fourteen minutes to the start of NBC's tape delayed Olympic Opening Ceremonies and I am in desperate need of fish and chips.

My original intentions had been to cook my own dinner and proudly sit on my couch just in time to catch the coverage. Unfortunately, my laziness overcame me that day and I did not make it to the grocery store (this is not a huge surprise, as I have not legitimately grocery shopped in quite some time.) Anyways... with the Olympics about to start (even though they had technically started on Wednesday,) I needed fish and chips, and quickly. My first thought: Captain D's.

You know, legitimate British fare.

I was very terrified that I would miss coverage, but I could not make it through the evening without battered and fried fish with a side of french fries, so I jumped in the Honda and raced up the street. Ann Hamilton had her reservations, but I had faith, faith that the Captain D's drive-thru line would move as swift as the coursing river.

Yes, I made that reference. It is always applicable.
 
I am happy to report that not only did Captain D's give me speedy service (which I'm sure means it was all sitting under a heat lamp,) but I made it home with FOUR minutes to spare. Olympic Jesus loves me. I'm also positive Regular Jesus loves me and I'm pretty sure Olympic Jesus and Regular Jesus are one-in-the-same, but who knows? He's Jesus and he can do what he wants; granted, he'd so win all the events if he competed.

[No image of Olympic Jesus here. They were too sacrilegious for comfort. Google if you wish.]

As for the rest of the opening ceremonies, I teared up and cried a good bit. I cheered a lot. I got all sorts of wrapped up, and I still can't get over all the fantastic Queen of England memes. Thank you interwebs.


No comments:

Post a Comment